How your dentist in Mercer Island, WA, can help with your toothache
If you have ever had a toothache, you already know how miserable it can make you feel. The throbbing, aching pain can make it difficult to think about anything else. Knowing what to do when you have a toothache can help relieve your pain and stress.
Dr. Ken McNabb at Mercer Park Dentistry in Mercer Island, WA, offers comprehensive dental care services, including treating your toothache.
You can have a toothache for many reasons including tooth decay, a dental abscess, dental trauma, and other causes. These are some simple steps you can take which might help:
- Flossing and brushing your teeth; gently cleaning your teeth can sometimes soothe your pain. You can even try just rinsing your mouth with saline solution.
- Taking over-the-counter pain relievers and anti-inflammatory medication can help relieve pain and reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Call your dentist; a toothache is best-taken care of by your dentist as soon as possible. Dental problems often escalate, becoming even more painful. Your dentist can give you some important next steps.
- Sinus infections can also cause your teeth to hurt from sinus pressure. You can try taking decongestants to relieve the pain and pressure.
You may need to visit your dentist on an emergency basis if you have:
- Severe dental pain, lasting longer than one or two days
- Swelling in your face or gums
- An earache or a fever
- Pain when you move your jaws
- Severe dental pain that keeps you awake
When you visit Dr. McNabb, he will perform a dental examination including x-rays to determine the cause of your dental pain. He may also do some vitality and thermal testing to determine if you have a dental abscess. Once he has determined the cause of your toothache, he will discuss the best treatment to relieve your pain and get you smiling again.
You don’t have to suffer from toothache pain when help is just a phone call away. To find out more about the causes and treatments of toothaches, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Ken McNabb of Mercer Park Dentistry in Mercer Island, WA, at (206) 232-6200. Call now!